Revision as of 18:15, 9 January 2013 by AlainKnaff
2 hours beginners tutorial
Date: 20th of February Where: Centre Culturel Moutfort (klenge Sall)
- Introduction (10min)
- Basic system File system (10min)
- Applications (rest of time)
Based on Kubuntu with KDE (depending on presenter)
- What is Free Software
The 4 essential freedoms and why they are useful What is source code Open Source software not only on Linux
- What is Linux
kernel running on many different architectures
- What is a Distribution
"Green distribution" - http://www.planetwatt.com Prepared for multimedia - http://http://www.linuxmint.com Running on old PC's http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=Old+Computers&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active Light low on resources: http://lubuntu.net/
- Disks/partitions/file-system - for end-users important for
installation and later mounting Different to C: ....
- Devices (no drivers to install)
- Installing/searching applications and updating system
- NetworkManager -> Configuring the network
- Firefox -> how to install and then add the flash player
- Thunderbird -> configure a mail address / configure a calendar (maybe with Goggle calendar)?
- Amarok/Banshee -> how to get music on i-XY (I don't know how myself ...)
- Digikam -> connect a camera
- Mplayer/w32codecs/CSS -> how to install to be able to look at DVDs
- AMule peer2peer ?
What other items do we do to have a fully functional system ?
- How many PC/Laptop do we need ?
- Who provides them ?
- Installation of Kubuntu